University School of Milwaukee is pleased to recognize decades of outstanding athletic tradition by inducting former Milwaukee Country Day School (MCDS), Milwaukee Downer Seminary (MDS), Milwaukee University School (MUS), and University School of Milwaukee (USM) athletes, coaches, teams, and distinguished athletic program contributors to its Athletic Hall of Fame. The Athletic Hall of Fame has been established to forever commemorate a long legacy of exceptional performance and contribution by former USM and predecessor school athletes, coaches, teams, and distinguished contributors, and to recognize the important role of athletics within the culture of the School.
The inaugural USM Athletic Hall of Fame Class was inducted at a special ceremony on October 1, 2016.
- Athletic Hall of Fame classes will be selected every three years by a committee of alumni, the current Athletic Director, and current/former faculty and coaches.
- Nominations are due by December 1 prior to each induction ceremony. The next ceremony will take place in fall of 2019.
- There are no restrictions on who may submit a nomination form.
- Nomination forms are available in paper or electronically using the Athletic Hall of Fame online nomination form.
- Once a nomination is received, the nominated individual and/or team member is mailed a letter and questionnaire requesting information on themselves and their achievements.
- Once the nominee has returned a completed questionnaire, the candidate is officially placed into the selection process.
- The committee will review nominees and select the class of inductees.
An Athletic Hall of Fame committee appointed by the Head of School will review nominees and select the class of inductees based on the criteria below.
- Must be a graduate of USM (or any of its predecessor schools) at least 10 years beyond graduation.
- Must have earned exceptional individual accomplishments within a sport.
- Must have made significant contributions made to the success of a team.
- Must have strong moral character and good citizenship throughout his/her life.
- In addition, those with post-graduate distinction in sports and those with individual/team success in multiple sports will be given strong consideration.
- Must be a former coach at USM (or any of its predecessor schools) who has also achieved coaching distinctions elsewhere.
- Must have at least 10 years of varsity coaching responsibilities at USM (or any of its predecessor schools).
- Must be retired from coaching at USM for a minimum of five (5) years.
- Must hold an outstanding coaching record.
- Must have positively influenced the student-athletes he/she has coached and be the embodiment of the sport(s) he/she coached.
- Must have achieved outstanding success in their sport and brought honor and recognition to the School's athletics programs. Examples include: undefeated season(s); best record in School history; notable winning streaks; league, regional, state championships; overcoming adversity or special circumstances to succeed; and distinct moment(s) during a season that deserve special recognition.
Hall of Fame Committee
- Must have made significant contributions to USM (or a predecessor school) athletics through leadership, inspiration, and/or support of the School's athletic programs. Must demonstrate long-term contributions of time, talent, and treasure in support of USM (or predecessor school) athletics.
- Cannot be currently employed by USM.
- Must embody strong moral character and good citizenship.
Steve Becker MCD'64
Holly Palin Cornille '02
Liz Cyganiak Stuckslager '91
David Fritz '81
Kip Jacobs '74
John "J.S." Stephens
Margy Stratton Norman '84
Jay Wigdale '78
Mike Williams '70
Steve Bruemmer, retired faculty and former coach
Kip Jacobs '74, 7th Grade Science Teacher
Luke Houdek, Athletic Director
Andy Thomson, Assistant Athletic Director
Vanessa Nerbun, Director of Alumni and Parent Relations
Laura and Jay '78 Wigdale
Milwaukee Winter Club
James MCDS'55 and Libby Wigdale
Read Family Foundation
Friends of the USM Athletic Hall of Fame
Alex Walzak Photography
USM Booster Club