University School of Milwaukee was one of 27 schools in the state of Wisconsin to be named recipients of the 2018-19 Award of Excellence from the Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association (WIAA). This is the second time the school has received the award, also having been named in 2016-17. The award recognizes member schools for their efforts and achievements in the areas of sportsmanship, ethics, integrity, leadership, and character.
"To earn this award for the second time is a great honor for USM," said Director of Athletics Luke Houdek (pictured). "I am proud of our student athletes, coaches, and athletic office personnel as their actions this past year are what allowed us to be recognized. Recieving an award like this is proof that we take education-based athletics seriously at USM."
Some of the criteria applied toward the award incude:
About the WIAA
- Athletic director conducted regularly occuring meetings with coaches, student leadership, and student athletes and their parents about sportsmanship, ethics, and/or integrity.
- Coaches and student athletes attended a sportsmanship summit, leadership conference, etc.
- Athletic director made the student body aware of sportsmanship initiatives through school assemblies, announcements, posters, etc.
- Three or more athletic teams gave back to their school or community through volunteerism.
- Athletic director nominated a boy and/or girl for WIAA Scholar Athlete recognition (either for local or state level recognition).
The membership of the WIAA oversees interscholastic programs for 511 senior high schools and 43 junior high/middle level schools in its membership. It will sponosor 27 championship tournament series in 2019-20.