University School of Milwaukee was one of 46 schools in the state of Wisconsin to be named a recipient of the 2019–20 Award of Excellence from the Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association (WIAA). This is the third time the school has received the award, which has been given in the past four years, also having been named in 2016–17 and 2018–19. The award recognizes member schools for their efforts and achievements in the areas of sportsmanship, ethics, integrity, leadership, and character.
“This award is a wonderful achievement for our program and is a true team effort from all parts of our program including coaches, players, parents and administrators,” said Director of Athletics Tim Williams (pictured). “We are very proud of our teams and our athletic program at USM and this reaffirms our commitment to putting our best efforts out on our fields, courts, trails and ice.”
Some of the criteria applied toward the award include:
About the WIAA
- Athletic director conducted regularly occurring meetings with coaches, student leadership, and student athletes and their parents about sportsmanship, ethics and/or integrity
- Coaches and student athletes attended a sportsmanship summit, leadership conference, etc.
- Athletic director made the student body aware of sportsmanship initiatives through school assemblies, announcements, posters, etc.
- Three or more athletic teams gave back to their school or community through volunteerism
- Athletic director nominated a boy and/or girl for WIAA Scholar Athlete recognition (either for local or state level recognition)
The membership of the WIAA oversees interscholastic athletic programs for 511 senior high schools and 43 junior high/middle level schools in its membership. It will sponsor 27 championship tournament series in 2019–20.